Monday, August 5, 2013

"So...you're next?"

A couple weeks ago, I had the privilege of giving my sister away to a dashing, deserving man. She doesn't know this, but her relationship is a model for mine. And no telling, many others. They have a love that rivals the fairy tales: cute-sy childhood encounters, a whole lot of "Rothwell romance", and what I love most, a four-year friendship. They married at the prime-time of both of their lives. They enjoyed the process, and didn't skimp on the product. With that, a couple hundred witnessed and were moved by that beautiful product in a perfectly adorned white church with brick steps, candles up the aisles, and chandeliers. It was there, in 45 sweet minutes, that their journey of love was unveiled for all to see; so pure, so tender, so magical. What made it so perfectly adorned was not the decorations that awed many eyes, but it was the real, Christ-centered, sustaining love of two people who knew each other - a marriage of inseparable friends.




So, no. I'm not next, you asked. I've gained too much philosophy for a love of hasty fantasy. What I have observed in this life is that the best things in life are always worth waiting for, especially in marriage considerations. So, I have made up my mind to take my time. I am reminded by Wisdom's words in Ecclesiastes that to everything, there is a season. Why jump from season to season and drain the now for what it's worth? The past will always follow, the future is a given, but you only have one now - your living, breathing, choice of experience.

I waited until I was twenty-one to date, and am so glad I did. In my life as an almost-twenty-two-year-old, I love dating. I wouldn't have traded my single years for the world, it's so much apart of my story, but this season of dating has been so much fun! It's full of adventure, mystery, exciting hello's, and drawn-out goodbyes. I love car conversations on destination dates - the kind where the stream of questions and answers makes the sole entertainment. I love arriving home beaming to a family ready to receive me and share in my experience. I love the anticipation of waiting all week for the next one. I love the learning, I'll take it hard and the easy. I'd like to think of dating as learning a person, and letting them learn you. Then, when married, spending the rest of your life in marriage bliss showing that person, with surprises and spoils, just how much you know them, and love what you know. That goes without saying, letting growing up and growing old, with all of life's experiences, teach you even more! To me, that's what makes marriage so worth waiting for; a sacred bond between two people - bosom friends - who know each other thoroughly and love eachother other unconditionally. This love goes beyond fairytales. 

No, I am not in love...and that excites me! Because I can't wait to be in love. I can't wait to be kissed. I can't wait to be known, maxing out every capacity of the word through life-long discovery.

Don't skip out on a great story because you're anxious for the epilogue. Especially when it's your own. After all, there is no story without a struggle.

-BJM



{In saying so, I still dream. I write. And I pintrest!}

1 comment:

  1. I love this Bia!
    and I couldnt agree more. I pray blessings and wisdom over you while you date and wait ;) Youre such a treasure!

    ReplyDelete