Monday, March 7, 2011

Finding Fine Arts


It was an ordinary Tuesday at Nexus Student Ministries, and I had a couple minutes to kill before my call to the stage. I used to make a habit of picking out one student each week. One person to talk to, to get to know, to love on. I usually clung to the loners...they compelled and challenged me. Some, when I approached them, would put up invisible walls around them, shutting me out with their closed demeanor. Others, however, were desperate for attention, interaction, or just simple recognition.

I looked around the Crosswalk Cafe, practicing my weekly routine, and my eye caught a lone girl sitting across the way by the women's restrooms. She was hunched over a worn and used notebook on a bench that could have seated ten other bodies. She sat there alone, on the very edge, with the company of empty seats. Yes, she was my loner.

Gently approaching, I inquired about her notebook. Perhaps she was finishing up some
homework that I could help with. She straightened up and allowed her hand to drag from the page to reveal a figure. A beautiful figure. A skinny woman with black flowing hair in an exquisite ball gown. A figure that so juxtaposed her own heavy set, simple pony, and overly -large stained T-shirt. Leaning over her shoulder, I carefully studied the portrait, the shading, the lines and how they flowed together to make up such a masterpiece. Unsure of my scrutiny, she swiftly cradled it back in her lap until I reassured her. When I finally put her at ease, she went on to show me her other notebook full of drawings, graphics she made, and the most raw and heart-felt poetry. She was indeed an artist. Yet, she was unaware and unawakened to this beauty within her.

We became quick friends after this instance. She began to opened up and share the meaning behind her heavy poems and feelings that were entangled. She would tell me about her latest art projects and it wasn't long when I even shared a couple of my own. Every week from then on this young lady would bring me her latest drawings and designs. You see, she aspired to be a fashion designer. Who would have thought?

That's when it started for me. Finding Fine Arts. To me, there is nothing that is more fulfilling than finding the perfect song for someone's range, creating a human video and watching students master it, convincing someone to compete in dance, then witnessing them take the stage.

We all have hidden treasures. Some of us just need some extra digging.

6 comments:

  1. Bia, this is so sweet. I love how personal and caring you are. Great blog best friend. I miss you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brianna, I am AMAZED at how beautifully you write. There is such emotion, such description in your words. You have a wonderful way of picking just the right word to communicate just what you want to say. I love it. I'm so proud of you. I'm so proud that you take time out of your night to make others feel welcome. You're so awesome. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammie - thank you! I miss you too. April can't come soon enough!

    Tay - thanks for noticing my vocabulary! Haha. I try. But I'm no natural like you are ;). But this means so much coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THIS, BRIANNA JENELLE MORROW!!!!!!!!!! nice use of "juxtapose"....my heart is warmed. :) I love how you find meaning in, seemingly, average moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Bri! Wanna dig for mine? ;) haha, love, love, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bri, this is beautiful! I'm glad that I could play a part in helping people find their Fine Arts gifts. The time that I spent at Crosswalk really inspired that desire in my heart as well, to show people how to use the gifts and talents that God has given them. Thanks again for that opportunity!

    ReplyDelete