Thursday, January 9, 2014

happily {Ever After} and my return to fairy tales

As most of you know, my two best friends and I started an online Christian community for women called His Ladyship. Our mission is to inspire women of all ages to embrace their royal, God-given inheritance through discovering their limitless value and extraordinary destiny. Our first series we were so ecstatic to introduce is called "Return to Fairy Tales," and here's a little of how I've found my own.

Just a couple nights ago I had this out of the ordinary impulse to watch a movie (since college, I've completely neglected anything projected on my TV). But not just any movie, I wanted to watch Ever After. Entirely unknowingly, I had forgotten that this movie was my very first "grown up" movie I watched as a child. And my, I did not prepare myself for what I would experience watching this as now grown woman (so weird to say!).

While watching this movie, I had the strangest sensation. I was not only having funny memories of rewinding my favorite scenes (the ball and engagement scene) over and over again, countlessly choosing this movie over others at family movie nights (poor daddy), the time I locked myself in the bathroom crying because my older sisters were having a sleepover watching Ever After with their "older" friends and I was not allowed to join because it was past my bedtime, and reenacting the whole movie from start to finish with my three imaginative sisters. While (most) of these memories are sweet and sentimental, I was most intrigued with the way I was remembering my thoughts I used to have, as a seven-ish year-old-girl, throughout the duration of the movie. Ever have those moments? I was literally transported, as the film was unfolding Cinderella's story, to the mind of a little old me.

I had thoughts like...

"People kiss with their mouths open? Gross!!"

And...

 "I think the prince is so handsome even though Whitney and Taylor don't!"

Oh, and this one!

"How did she manage to get ready so fast from servant to Countess when she went on that date with the prince?!" (Cosmetologist for life ;) )

I remember the scenes that I would privately act out in my make-believe world, where I was Cinderella and her world was my own. I remember picking up old and adult-looking books and sitting by my fireplace, just as did Cinderella, pretending to read because I scarcely knew how.

How fragile are the things of our childhood. The thoughts, delights, wonders, thrills, questions, scares, and the "anything is possible" spirit. So this was my return, and it was a beautiful one. I remembered the old me and compared it to the knew. And I have to admit, I sorta miss that bashful, sensitive, worry-wart of a little girl. She had an imagination that inspires me!

Just for fun and to celebrate you, I challenge you to flip through an album, read an old book, or watch an old movie from your childhood that will trigger those memories. What fun it is to remember and revisit the old you!

As for me, Ever After, you will ever have my heart and hold the fondest memories of the little me.

-BJM


My Return


1 comment:

  1. beautiful! I love our sweet childhood. I never want us to forget it! You brilliantly captured all those thoughts and moments of make-believe that stemmed from this cherished movie. I love you!!!! Let's watch this together soon.

    ReplyDelete