Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Best Friend Becky

I first met Becky when we were grouped together in a human video as angels, flapping our wings at Chris' (playing God) feet, and we had to be completely, national level, in sync. We were both new at this human video, acting stuff; I was frightened to silence and she giggled uncontrollably at the awkwardness of our roles. That was the beginning of our best-friendship. As a child and a pre-teen, I was plagued and paralyzed by fear, anxiety, and insecurity. But this lovely lady, four years my senior, was my saving grace. 

She looked past my crocked smile and social inhibitors. She crossed the threshold, sought me out, and saw me for me. She took me out, showed me music, and encouraged me to just be me with her contagious joy, positive energy, and silly quirks. She listened to my voice and the expressions of my heart. There were many a day when she called me up, picked me up, and we would go on timeless adventures to who knows where. And that was the beauty of it. Just driving down an open road to see where we'd end up; where the conversation in the vehicle was much more exciting than reaching any destination. There were many a night when we would lay awake telling God stories, dissecting homosexuality, discussing our current youth group situation, and dreaming of our futures with our God-given destiny. 

Yesterday I had the privilege of re-connecting with this friend of seven years. We immediately and easily engaged in conversation. Only, we didn't sort out youth group drama, ponder boys, or plan out our futures like we used to. Instead, we talked about church ministry, worship music, marriage, babies, and God's purposes being fulfilled in our lives. We reflected and reminisced on this long-term, life-time, God-ordanined best-friendship. She shared the depths of her heart, and I shared mine. Just like old times.

Becky, you made growing up beautiful and fearless journey. Thanks for always being a timeless best friend and kindred spirit.



-BJM

2 comments:

  1. i love this, B. You and Becky were always radient. I'm so happy that you got to reconnect with her, you both are beauties inside and out. And, you are such a great writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this so much! You're such a great writer and you are such a beautiful person inside and out, just like Whit said. I looked up to you so much when I was little and I look up to you so much now. You are so inspiring, encouraging, kind, cuddly, and sweet all the time and I love you so so so so much!

    ReplyDelete